Friends of Chesnut
In 2007, parents at Chesnut established a fully certified 501(c)(3) charitable foundation known as "The Friends of Chesnut Foundation, Inc."
Friends of Chesnut is a non-profit donation fund to support curriculum and facility enhancements at Chesnut Charter Elementary School, as well as other items deemed valuable for the school by Charter Council. Being a charter school allows Chesnut the freedom to go above and beyond State and County guidelines in many areas to better serve the needs of our students, but... we are on our own when it comes to funding these enhancements.
In recent years, Friends of Chesnut has funded:
- New math kit for every teacher (Exploring Math) to supplement the county math curriculum and provide new ways to make math more interesting and exciting to every student.
- Twelve Promethean boards, including a portable board that can be used throughout the school until all classrooms have their own permanent boards.
- Reading enrichment tools such as Weekly Reader and Wordly Wise
- New color block carpets in the Kindergarten rooms
- Teacher and Staff development in speech therapy, Gifted Endorsement, and reading
You can also find more information on these and other investments made by Friends of Chesnut in these annual reports:
- Friends of Chesnut Annual Report 2011-2012
- Friends of Chesnut Annual Report 2010-2011
- Friends of Chesnut Annual Report 2009-2010
- Friends of Chesnut Annual Report 2008-2009
If you have made an expenditure approved by Charter Council on behalf of Friends of Chesnut, you may request reimbursement by providing supporting receipt(s) and completing the following Request Form. Note that Friends of Chesnut will not reimburse non-approved purchases.